Creation Time is a part of the Season of Pentecost. It is when we celebrate the fact that creation is an integral part of all that we do … how we worship and honour a Creator God. The “tree” logo was designed for the season and orange is the corresponding liturgical colour. Creation Time and its colour orange recapture an ancient Christian liturgical way of being that we had forgotten.
The colour orange was:
• the Early Christian colour for confessors, monastics, and matrons
• worn in some Russian churches during summer fasts; in Western rites, some mainline Protestant churches propose orange as a colour for fall
• some Orthodox Churches use scarlet, orange, or rust
• symbolic of endurance and strength
• colour of fire and flame
• the red of passion tempered by the yellow of wisdom
• colour of harvest, fruitfulness, joy
• colour of positive energy
At United Churches of Langley, our Season of Creation will begin on Sunday, September 16 with a community BLOCK PARTY including crafts, food, games and a Pet Blessing. Invite your friends and family and spend some time playing and sharing with our Murrayville neighbours.
October 7 is Thanksgiving with the celebration of Communion and on Sunday, October 14 we will honour the World Food Day. We have much to be thankful for as God’s people gathered together and sharing God’s love with the world. Remember… you are blessed to be a blessing!